Photography Goals for 2013

Monday, January 7, 2013

2012 was a good photography year for me.  I learned so much not only artistcally, but also about myself as a photographer.  I've grown so much from where I was at this point last year until now. In 2013 I only want to grow more.  So here are my photography goals for 2013. 

  • Learn Photoshop.   I can hear the gasps now.  "You're a photographer and don't even know Photoshop?!"  Yes, it's true.  I don't know a lick of it.  I actually didn't even own it until this Christmas when my parents so graciously gifted me Photoshop CS6.  Due to the cost a huge part of me debated returning it.  I have done all my edits in Lightroom the last few years and have accomplished what I needed from it.  But if I want to grow as a photographer I think I should have Photoshop.  Not to mention finally be able to remove that one strand of hair that blew across a client's face on my favorite image.  So, I'm keeping it.  My goal in 2013 is to take a class to fully understand how to use it and apply it to my edits.


  • Take More Photography Workshops.  I have taken a handful of workshops over the years and have always walked away with so much more knowledge than I walked in with.  I always take away something from them.  Not to mention, I thoroughly enjoy them and love meeting new photographers.  I haven't taken a workshop in a while and definitely want to take more in 2013. 


  • Shoot What I Love.  Kids and family sessions - check.  Been there, done that.  And altho I like shooting them, I don't LOVE shooting them.  Huge difference.  Over the last few years I've let my clients dictate what I shoot.  I've always said yes.  In 2013 I would like to start shooting what I really love.  And right now I can honestly say I'm not sure what that is.  I do however know that I would like to shoot a newborn session, a high school senior and even second shoot a wedding in 2013.  Maybe one of those will turn into what I truly love to shoot?


  • Reach Out.  I want to reach out to local photographers and get more involved in the photography community.  To know me is to know I'm pretty shy .. that is until I get to know someone.  I know this goal will be tough for me.  I'm not the type to strike up a conversation with a stranger or ask a local photographer to coffee.  But in 2013 it is one of my goals and I am finally going to put myself out there. 


  • Take More Personal Photos.  This goes without saying really.  At home 99.9% of the time all my photos I take are with my iphone.  It's easy.  It's simple.  It's always there.  I want to get out of that habit and start picking up my big camera more.  I slowly started breaking this habit by dedicating Thursdays as PST (photo shoot Thursday).  Every Thursday I make it my goal to conduct a small shoot with Vinny and from that shoot find at least one photo that I would be proud of enough to show off online.  It's been working.  It's been pushing me to pick up my camera more and as a result I have some super adorable pictures of Vinny to show for.  But I want to step it up and not only do this on Thursdays.  I want to do it all week long.  In 2013 I will put my iphone down and grab my big camera.


So there you have it - my photography goals for 2013.  The list is short, but it contains some pretty big things to strive for and accomplish. 

No comments:

 

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger