- Learn Photoshop. I can hear the gasps now. "You're a photographer and don't even know Photoshop?!" Yes, it's true. I don't know a lick of it. I actually didn't even own it until this Christmas when my parents so graciously gifted me Photoshop CS6. Due to the cost a huge part of me debated returning it. I have done all my edits in Lightroom the last few years and have accomplished what I needed from it. But if I want to grow as a photographer I think I should have Photoshop. Not to mention finally be able to remove that one strand of hair that blew across a client's face on my favorite image. So, I'm keeping it. My goal in 2013 is to take a class to fully understand how to use it and apply it to my edits.
- Take More Photography Workshops. I have taken a handful of workshops over the years and have always walked away with so much more knowledge than I walked in with. I always take away something from them. Not to mention, I thoroughly enjoy them and love meeting new photographers. I haven't taken a workshop in a while and definitely want to take more in 2013.
- Shoot What I Love. Kids and family sessions - check. Been there, done that. And altho I like shooting them, I don't LOVE shooting them. Huge difference. Over the last few years I've let my clients dictate what I shoot. I've always said yes. In 2013 I would like to start shooting what I really love. And right now I can honestly say I'm not sure what that is. I do however know that I would like to shoot a newborn session, a high school senior and even second shoot a wedding in 2013. Maybe one of those will turn into what I truly love to shoot?
- Reach Out. I want to reach out to local photographers and get more involved in the photography community. To know me is to know I'm pretty shy .. that is until I get to know someone. I know this goal will be tough for me. I'm not the type to strike up a conversation with a stranger or ask a local photographer to coffee. But in 2013 it is one of my goals and I am finally going to put myself out there.
- Take More Personal Photos. This goes without saying really. At home 99.9% of the time all my photos I take are with my iphone. It's easy. It's simple. It's always there. I want to get out of that habit and start picking up my big camera more. I slowly started breaking this habit by dedicating Thursdays as PST (photo shoot Thursday). Every Thursday I make it my goal to conduct a small shoot with Vinny and from that shoot find at least one photo that I would be proud of enough to show off online. It's been working. It's been pushing me to pick up my camera more and as a result I have some super adorable pictures of Vinny to show for. But I want to step it up and not only do this on Thursdays. I want to do it all week long. In 2013 I will put my iphone down and grab my big camera.
So there you have it - my photography goals for 2013. The list is short, but it contains some pretty big things to strive for and accomplish.