Birth Story

Monday, October 1, 2012

Hello blog - I've missed you!!

I feel like it's been ages since I've been behind a computer.  Because ... well ... it has.  Thank goodness for technology and smart phones or I would be living under a rock lately.  Having a baby consumes every ounce of your attention (who knew?)  That being said I have not had time to sit down and blog, let alone shower some days.

Vinny has been with us for over a month now and I've failed to blog his birth story.  So, here it goes. 

On August 22nd C&I went about our nightly routine and ate dinner together.  After dinner C ran to the store to get ice cream and milk for the brownies I made previously in the day.   While he was gone, I was cleaning up the kitchen and felt like I peed myself.  Sadly, this has not been uncommon throughout my pregnancy.   I honestly didn't think anything of it at first.  I made a trip to the bathroom and as soon as I was finished doing my business I stood up and BAM a gush of water poured out of me.  There was no questioning that my water broke.  C wasn't home and I felt so excited, nervous and anxious.  I called my doctor immediately and she told me to head to the hospital.  What?  I knew that's what I was supposed to do but to actually hear her say the words completely threw me.  I gathered all of our things and placed them on the island in the kitchen.  When C walked in he so confused.  He had no idea what was happening while he was gone for a whopping 10 mins. 

As we headed out the door, I stopped briefly to turn around and look at Tiko.  I said bye to him with teary eyes knowing the next time I saw him I would have our baby in my arms.  We no longer are going to be Chris, Chris & Tiko.  Our little family of three. 

We got the hospital and after they confirmed my water did actually break, we notified our parents.  C's parents immediately started driving to Minnesota from Chicago to meet their new grandson or granddaughter. 

Labor was weird and not what I expected.  Maybe I expected what I have always saw on TV - screaming women ready to kill their husbands.  My labor was nothing like that.  At first I didn't even know I was having contractions.  The nurses kept asking me if I felt my contractions and I looked at them like they were crazy - what contractions?  I thought to myself if this is what labor is like, I got this.  Piece of cake!  But, of course, I jinxed myself   I started experiencing bad back labor and when asked if I wanted an epidural, I did not hesitate.  After my epidural I felt no pain.  It was a kiss from God.

Vinny was facing the wrong way in my belly and needed to be turned.  About every 20-30 mins the nurses would come in and reposition me in hopes Vinny would move.  When they weren't in my room, I was sleeping.  So, most of my labor is a complete blur to me.  I dilated to a 7 and wouldn't progress any further.  My cervix began to swell and Vinny's heart rate began to drop.  That's when I was told I was going in for an emergency c-section. 

Of course, nobody wants to have a c-section.  I didn't love the idea, but wanted what was best for me and our baby. 

I went into OR feeling anxious and extremely nervous.  I had no idea what to expect.  I was so scared something was going to go wrong.  Pessimist much?  Just the thought of being cut open terrified me.  I couldn't wait to find out if we were going parents of a son or daughter.  Everything went smoothly and before I knew it the words "It's a boy" were ringing through our ears.

Tears were flying and our dreams of having a boy came true.  It truly was the happiest moment of my life.  We had a son.  We finally got our Vinny.  Our 9 pounds 1 ounce and 21 inches long Vinny.

Nobody tells you that recovering from a c-section sucks.  Like really sucks.  I was in a lot of pain the days following my c-section.  But thankfully the drugs the nurses give you help with the pain.  Plus snuggling with your new baby makes you forget about how much pain you're actually in. 

We came home from the hospital but not 24 hours later we had to rush Vinny to Children's Hospital due to dehydration.  I was nursing since giving birth but had no idea that my right breast did not produce any milk.  So I was essentially starving my baby and had no idea.  Can you imagine what a horrible feeling that is?

We got to Children's and they immediately hooked Vinny up to an IV.  This didn't happen until the 4th attempt tho.  My poor, not even week old baby was poked and prodded several times leaving bruises all over.  Tears tears tears.  Watching them keep attempting the IV broke my heart.  They finally had to insert his IV through is head.  Ugh. 

Vinny was in the NICU for 4 days.  Those 4 days were the longest, most emotional days of my life.  Not only was he dehydrated, but his blood pressure spiked and the doctors had to a run tests and scans to figure out why.  To this day they still don't have an answer as to why his blood pressure was so high.  But after four days in the NICU we were finally released. 

The nurses in the NICU loved fussing and checking on Vinny.  Since they deal with babies the size of a dollar bill on a daily basis they couldn't express how refreshing it was to see a big baby in there.  Vinny definitely got a lot of attention and love from the nurses. 

Altho I felt robbed of my first week with Vinny I was just thankful he was healthy and we were able to finally go home and start getting settled.

Now, a month and a half later, Vinny is still doing great and is completely healthy.  I love being on maternity leave and spending my days with him.  He is growing so fast and changing so much.  I have already had to pack away his newborn clothes :(  I can't imagine life without him and feel so so so blessed. 

1 comment:

Erin said...

You're right, so many people talk about how 'easy' c sections are. Perhaps so, but recovery is AWFUL! Glad someone else hated it as much as me.

 

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger